This picture was taken already some time ago, but I decided it would make a good share today. Now, this picture has an evolution behind it and I'm not talking about the most obvious association that might appear to your mind. 'Aura having a bubble bath' is the motif I've been chasing for many times and I've been trying to come up with some sort of clever interpretation of it. Just like any other photographer out there, I need to experiment with different ideas and be persistent to eventually come up with something that works. An analogy from the landscape photography: like many landscapes photographers return to some places again and again, I too return into this particular motif and try to find the way to make it work. I think I've done this picture about five times before over one and a half year (not counting the failures). When I started with the first one there was no foam at all and the point of view was different showing cluttered background. Afterwards I've learned, for example, to turn her bathtub into right position so that light will be perfect in our very imperfect bathroom. I've taped a small toy giraffe to my head to make her look straight into the camera (though this trick wears out pretty soon). I've also learned that the beginning the bath is crucial moment for the timing because afterwards her hair gets too wet and the foam begins to dissolve. Having a good composition also means that I can't do it totally in vertical or horizontal mode, instead I need to make it just a little bit inclinated to make it work. As you see, this kind of picture contains a lot more work than it looks at the first sight.
For the obvious reasons this is also a sort of scenario I will gladly reach for the autofocus lens, the Batis 1.8/85 in this case. I know it looks pretty static and could have also been taken with the Loxia-lenses and manual focusing which I've been favoring for my family photography. I mean she doesn't move too much and even if she would, the leeway is still pretty small. But with all the preparations and earlier failures I just didn't want to risk it. Besides that, I've found that it's a bit harder to adjust critical focus with Loxia-lenses and relying just for the LCD-display since the image in viewfinder is considerably larger than what you get with the LCD-display (and for this kind of shot I need to keep camera above her head with my arms reached out). So for the reasons stated above I went with the Batis 1.8/85 for this shot and I think this is as good as it gets for me – at least for now before I get a new idea!